Training/Internship USA: Information for Companies/Host Organizations

Training/Internship USA: Information for Companies/Host Organizations

Hosting a German trainee/intern will be a great advantage for your company. Find out more about:

Advantages: mutual benefit for the intern and you as the company
Posting vacant positions: find suitable candidates for your trainee positions
J-1 visa: information on the necessary visa procedure
Hosting trainees: requirements for US companies to host trainees
Internship USA: our program - application process and service

Your advantages

Host companies: Statue of liberty

Intercultural skills: Your staff will benefit of the fresh input from the German academic and/or business world.

Motivation: Providing training for a foreign intern - learning from and passing on know-how to each other - will enhance motivation on both sides and lead to a dynamic working atmosphere.

Perspective: Through the intern/trainee you receive practical knowledge and insight into the work of your German partners/colleagues.

Intra-company transfer: Via our trainee program you can host trainees from your German parent company. This way you could intensify your contacts to the German company.


Post vacant trainee positions online

Posting the positions - simple and free of charge

To bring you and your future intern together, we would like to offer you to post your vacant trainee positions on our website, which is frequently used by students from all over Germany, Switzerland and Austria to look for a training position. Just send us your job description as pdf, word-document or simply as a text via e-mail. Please contact Daniela Borntraeger at or +49-(0)2506-8303-293.

Campus recruiting

Our sales team and our program coordinators are promoting the trainee program at universities, German-American Centers, at job fairs and other roadshows all over Germany. Should you be interested, we will be glad to advert your vacant positions at these events.


J-1 visa

In order to be able to do a training in the US, the intern/trainee needs a specific visa - J-1 visa. Together with our US partner CIEE, Council on International Educational Exchange we, TravelWorks, ensure that each trainee has the correct J-1 Visa plus insurance coverage. When applying for the J-1 visa at the US Consulate in Germany, the trainee needs a "Certificate of Eligibility" - the DS-2019 form. The DS-2019 form can only be issued by a legal sponsor, an organization designated by the US Department of State to administer the Intern/Trainee Program - in this case CIEE.


Requirements for US companies

The US company has to provide a structured training and fulfill the following requirements and tasks. Should you face any problems or questions, please do not hesitate to contact the TravelWorks and CIEE staff.


Host companies: team
  • a proper workspace and enough staff to provide an ongoing professional supervision, guidance and support throughout the program
  • Worker's compensation policy that covers the intern
  • Employer ID/ federal tax ID number
  • the training can be paid or unpaid


  • complete the online DS-7002 document (Training / Internship Placement Plan)
  • trainee tasks need to stick to the prepared and agreed upon training plan
  • CIEE online-evaluation to be completed by supervisor

On-Site Visits

As a designated Department of State sponsor, CIEE is required to conduct site visits of Host Organizations that do not meet one of the following criteria:
  • Have successfully hosted an intern/trainee with CIEE within the past three years;
  • Have more than 25 full-time employees in the US; or
  • Generate more than three million dollars in annual revenue.

If your organization can prove that it meets at least one of the three above mentioned criteria, a site visit will not be needed. Furthermore, Host Organizations that are academic institutions or federal, state, or local government offices are excluded from the site visit requirement.

If you find that your company or organization will need a site visit, no worries! The process is easy and will only take 10-15 minutes of your time.


Training in the US

During its nearly 20 years as administrator of this program, CIEE has supported more than 50,000 participants as they endeavor to enhance their professional qualifications. The knowledge and experience CIEE has gained over time, along with their enduring commitment to quality, has allowed CIEE to remain the largest sponsor in the Intern/Trainee category and an overall leader in program administration. TravelWorks is the exclusive German representative of CIEE and together with CIEE we ensure that the whole J-1 visa process runs smoothly.

Program procedure

In order to be able to work as a trainee in the US, a J-1 visa as well as insurance coverage is needed. Together with our US partner organization we secure that your trainees are provided with both and help you making the training a success.

Host companies: Wall Street Bull

There are usually three parties involved in the process: you, as the Host Organization, the intern/trainee and CIEE or TravelWorks as the German representative of CIEE, functioning as the legal sponsor. The processing time takes about 3 or 4 weeks to issue the DS-2019 form, after the complete application has been submitted to TravelWorks. An additional 1 or 2 weeks should ideally be added for the J-1 visa application at the US consulate in Germany.

  • You as the US Host Organization will have to complete and sign the online DS-7002 document - an official US State Department document. Your prospective intern will invite you to complete the online DS-7002. This invitation will be sent through the CIEE system. After the company has completed and electronically signed the online DS-7002, the intern will automatically receive an invitation to sign the DS-7002 electronically as well. While the company is completing the online DS-7002, the intern should complete his part of the program application and send it to TravelWorks either via mail or e-mail.
  • The intern/trainee, who has ideally by then filled out and collected his part of the CIEE application set, needs to sign the document as well. The intern/trainee submits the complete application set to TravelWorks either via mail or e-mail.
  • After approval of the application the intern/trainee receives the DS-2019, which allows him/her to apply for the J-1 visa at the US Consulate.

Our Service

  • We offer to get in contact with your prospective intern/trainee upfront in order to explain the entire application procedure to her/him.
  • We provide the intern/trainee with all necessary application material and explanatory information (helpful hints, how to complete the forms etc.), most of it to be downloaded from our website
  • Each intern/trainee has his/her own personal TravelWorks program coordinator who serves as a contact person throughout the entire application process, during his/her entire stay in the US and after the return to home country.
  • You can always contact TravelWorks or CIEE staff in case you have any questions or face any problems (filling out the documents, Social Security aspects etc.).
  • We offer to issue our invoices in English and address them to you as the Host Organization in case you would like to cover our program fees for your intern/trainee.
  • We check the application material and forward it to CIEE in the US.
  • CIEE checks the application again and contacts the supervisor at the Host Organization. If all program requirements are met the application can be approved and the DS-2019 is issued.
  • We receive the DS-2019 and forward it to the intern/trainee.
  • We support the intern/trainee in arranging and keeping the US Consulate appointment.
  • We provide the intern/trainee with additional information regarding the program and his / her stay (e.g. participant handbook).
  • We offer orientation seminars on a regular basis, so that your interns/trainees are well prepared for their stay in the US.
  • CIEE has a 24-hour-emergency hotline.

In case you have students or young professionals that are already interested in doing an internship at your company, please feel free to recommend our Visa-Service to them.


Praktikum in den USA
/* Neu im head.php */